The City of Fulton has outlined the rights of utility customers as it relates to the Fulton Smart Grid Initiative. The City developed these rights based on customer feedback and input, the goals of the overall new meter system, and current national and state guidelines and policies for smart grid projects. Customers of the Fulton Utilities are entitled to responsible and transparent utility operations that include:
THE RIGHT TO BE INFORMED
– Customers will have convenient access to information that helps explain available billing rate structures and options, outage information, peak demand, and the impact of energy consumption habits on electric bills.
– Information regarding the operational aspects of the Fulton Smart Grid Initiative and related programs will be publicly available through multiple channels.
– Customers will be informed and be able to view electricity consumption from a convenient user interface.
THE RIGHT TO PRIVACY
– Personal information will not be connected to usage data released to any third parties.
– Disclosure of energy usage data to any third party is subject to federal, state, and local laws.
– Customers will retain control of all in home devices and appliances. Customers may voluntarily participate in a utility managed energy control program and include devices that the utility can adjust as a part of a Demand Response program. This includes programmable thermostats, jacuzzi/pool pumps and heaters, and energy storage systems.
THE RIGHT TO OPTIONS
– Traditional tiered rate pricing and time of use pricing programs will be offered. Customers may select a billing rate structure that meets their individual needs. Customers will have the ability to change programs.
– The City will not alter an individual’s customer-selected rate program (Traditional Tiered or Time of Use) unless the customer is made aware of the change.
– Customers can choose how they will receive information from the utility.
– Customers may purchase and use compatible devices to further enhance energy savings and control of electricity consumption at their discretion.
THE RIGHT TO DATA SECURITY
– All customers have the right to a functioning electric meter and customer web portal that will provide secure, confidential, and accurate electricity consumption data.
– A utility security plan, designed to protect the smart grid’s critical computer infrastructure, will guide and govern all security policies and practices that apply to user and energy